I have a lot to deal with at the moment. The personal difficulties of being a single mother and the emotional difficulties of trying to negotiate some assistance from a reluctant father. The need to ask for help for almost everything, when I always preferred to be the one lending a hand wears me down. At times like this it is important to remember and appreciate the precious gifts I enjoy every day:
* Robert’s first two pearly teeth in a broad grin.
* A taxi assistant giving me back change when I mistakenly overpay.
* My house mate walking down to the shops in the cold to buy Robert new winter track suits.
* A friend reaching out across oceans and time zones with help and concern.
* A kindly word received when needed most from someone I did not expect.
* My parents’ gentle support. The years might have weighed their shoulders, but not their hearts. They still open their arms willingly, ready to embrace us if we need them.
* A woman I do not know smiling and cooing to Robert, then telling me that he is a gift from god, as if she has seen into my heart.
* Knowing that I am blessed, believing that I tried my best, and having no regrets.
* Hope… for a future.